A few weeks ago, we introduced the Xen Project â€“ OpenStack CI Loop, which is testing Nova commits against the Xen Project Hypervisor and Libvirt. Xen Project community is pleased to announce that we have moved from Quality Group C to B, as weâ€™ve made significant progress in the last few weeks and the Xen Project CI loop is now voting on Nova commits.
- Group C: These drivers have minimal testing and may or may not work at any given time. Test coverage may include unit tests that gate commits. There is no public functional testing.
- Group B: Test coverage includes unit tests that gate commits. Functional testing is provided by an external system (such as our CI loop) that do not gate commits, but advises patch authors and reviewers of results in OpenStack Gerrit.
- Group A: Test coverage includes unit tests and functional testing that both gate commits.
What does this mean in practice?
The easiest way to understand what this means in practice, is to look at a real code review as shown in the figure below.
Also see Merging.Repository Gating in the OpenStack documentation.
Relevant OpenStack Summit Sessions
There are a number of sessions at this week’s OpenStack Summit that are worth attending including:
- Wednesday, May 20 @ 11:50 – 12:30: QA: Testing Beyond the Gate
- Wednesday, May 20 @ 13:50 – 14:30: Sharing Best Practices in Setting up and Operating OpenStack CI Loops, which is hosted by members of the Xen Project team; and
- Wednesday, May 20 @ 15:30 – 16:10pm: Nova: Functional Testing and feature Classification.
Hands-on sessions to improve 3rd party CI infrastructure include:
- Thursday, May 21 @ 11:50 – 12:30: Infrastructure: Puppet Testing
- Thursday, May 21 @ 15:10 – 15:50: Infrastructure: Work session (Part 1/2 – Module Organization)
- Thursday, May 21 @ 16:10 – 16:50: Infrastructure: Work session (Part 2/2 – Testing)
Other third-party CI-related sessions include:
- Friday, May 22 @ 9:00 – 12:20: Infra/QA/RelMgt contributors meetup
Relevant Regular Meetings
Note that there are also weekly Third Party CI Working Group meetings for all operators of 3rd party CI loops in #openstack-meeting-4 on Wednesdays at 1500/0400 UTC alternating organized by Kurt Taylor (krtaylor). Third party CI operators interested in enhancing documentation, reviewing patches for relevant work, and improving the consumability of infra CI components are encouraged to attend. See here for more information on the working group.